Tuesday, March 4, 2014

From Church Building to Palace

The Black and Gold 1976

From Church Building to Palace...
 ...Thomas Square to King Street

 Outgrowing the church building, in 1895 the school moved into Princess Ruth's Palace (now the location of Central Intermediate School) and was renamed Honolulu High School.

 Honolulu High moved to a new building across from Thomas Square in 1907, and was renamed McKinley High School in honor of President William McKinley who was an eager supporter of Hawaii's annexation to the United States.

 MHS moved to its present location in 1924. Formerly rice fields and duck ponds, McKinley had a beautiful view of the ocean, Diamond Head and Punchbowl.

 Among the distinguished principals was Dr. Miles E. Cary who served from 1924 to 1948. His "core studies" program gave students a strong education so that they became, and are, the leaders and citizens of Hawaii today. Under the principalship of Teichiro Hirata, who later became state superintendent of schools, the school celebrated its Centennial in 1965.

 Thus, as the nation and Hawaii celebrate the Bicentennial, McKinley too, can look back on her heritage--from her founding as a missionary school, to her expansion as a public high school educating the children of immigrants of all races which have settled in Hawaii. Her graduates include a large cross section of the community foremost of whom are Governor George Ariyoshi and US Senators Hiram Fong and Daniel Inouye.

McKinley High School Class of 1977
40th Reunion Summer 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment